03 March 2019 / Club News

West Mon 29 pts Crumlin 29

To concede a try with the last move of the game was disappointing for the home side who led by 29pts to 15 with just 15 minutes to go.  However this should not cloud what was an excellent team performance seeing the home side score five exciting tries with backs and forwards enjoying the wide open spaces of the Stadium de Skew.

The visitors have enjoyed a successful season as the third place in the league suggests and were soon on the scoreboard with a try in the corner plus a penalty goal.

However the home side responded well with the front row of Matthew Gibbs, Robby Taylor and Duane Gardner well on top in the scrums. 

The lineout was also functioning with Luke Shelton and Ieuan Gardner winning more than their fair share of ball which the three quarter line put to good use with wing Ty Watkins using his blistering pace to cross for the opening home score after a break by fullback Deon Perry. 

The openness of the game was a spectators delight and both sides had opportunities before a further try went to the home side from scrum half James Reed who has been a huge asset since joining from Croesyceiliog.

Despite  2 conversions from Casey Roomus, who enjoyed an excellent game in the number 10 shirt , the home side still found themselves 15-14 behind at the half time after incurring the wrath of referee Ellis Poulden (who incidentally had a very fine afternoon)

The opening 25 minutes saw the West revert to a more structured approach with the running and deft hands of No 8 Scott Morris and fellow back row forward Jordan Clark causing havoc for the Crumlin defence, which centres Luke Royal and Robbie Baldock took full advantage with some powerful bursts.

Three tries followed through the impressive Jamie James, Craig Buffin (which I am reliably informed was his 400th point since Dale became coach)  whilst James Reed showed good pace to cross for his second touchdown.

With subs Will James and Owain Beard (fresh after his two superb tries against Pontllanfraith the previous week) entering the fray, there appeared to be only one winner.   However a lapse of concentration saw West concede 7 points giving the visitors hope of getting something from the game, which they duly managed in the very last second of the 80 minutes.

Despite this setback, this was a huge effort by the homeside in a game which was a great advert for rugby at this level. 

West Mon now have three home games to finish their league campaign whilst there is also a home semi final in the Ivor Jones Cup against Abersychan on Thursday 4 April.  It promises to be an exciting end to the season


A welcome to Ben Cox on his debut whilst it was pleasing to see prop Craig Weaver back in the match day squad for the first time since a serious hand injury.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments